Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Introduction

I’m Patrick. That’s who I am. I’m the guy who doesn’t write golbs (blogs). As such, it is only proper for me to show you my identity in this, my first ever blog post. I’m Patrick. That’s who I am.
This semester, particularly in the last few weeks I’ve noticed my inclination toward conversation. For instance, if I get let out of Pirates rehearsal having hundred pages of reading and a lab assignment due in the morning, but Doug and I start talking about some ideas for a film we could make, I will invariably stick with the discussion, completely disregarding my “responsibility” to my work. I will have planned out my time perfectly, saying to myself, “Self, you will read American Lit. first, which will take half an hour, then you will do Physics homework, which will be easy and you can finish quickly. Then, you can go to bed and get a good nine hours of sleep before waking up for chapel.” Then I forget what I just told myself. Or maybe I remember, I just rationalize that I can push each step back an hour and still be alright.
I say this not to complain about how I need to be more disciplined and have better study skills, or to attack Doug for forcing me to express and discuss creative ideas in an open, and often hilarious, discussion. Rather, I say it to express the importance of my behavior. If I’m tired and about to head back to my apartment to get something to eat during my 45 minute break before rehearsal and I happen to catch Monica sitting at a table in SAC (happened today) and we start a conversation, you can be sure I will follow through with that to the end. Why? Because that’s what matters. When it comes down to it, if I have the choice between doing some homework and having a great interaction with one of my friends, homework will wait to be done. Irresponsible? Absolutely. So what.
So when you ask me who I am, I’m going to give you an answer that probably involves where I’m from, and something about my friends. I could say, “I’m Pat, I’m 20, I live in an apartment, I’m left handed, and I’m 20 (repeated on purpose),” but that won’t tell you who I am. You’re more likely to hear, “I’m Pat and I like writing things with Doug,” or, “I’m Pat and me and Kayla just went ice skating,” or, “I’m Pat and I love Lucas.” Why do I have conversations when I could be doing “better” things? Because that’s how I become a person; how I have an identity. You say I could be doing better things, but I’m already doing the best thing. How can an hour of lost sleep and a missed physics problem be more important than building a relationship? My advice, build the relationship.
Hey, I’m Patrick, and if you’re my friend you know who I am, because you’re part of who I am. If you’re not my friend, ask me to be. I’m Patrick. That’s who I am.

2 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Hey Brother.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger -K- said...

Welcome Luce.

I'm glad you clarified who you are, because I've always wondered, "Who the hell is that guy?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home